View all courses
Hello ! and Welcome to our College Website.
The College of Agriculture, Animal Sciences and Veterinary Medicine(CAVM) is one of the 6 colleges of the University of Rwanda (UR) created in 2013 by the law n° 38 of 23/09/2013.The mission of CAVM is to advance knowledge, promote teaching and research, and help the society discover innovative solutions to overcome its most pressing problems. The college’s academic environment attracts outstanding students and scholars. Our College is also proud of its ties to the local community. Our research centers and public lectures enhance the intellectual and cultural vibrancy of the country. Welcome to the University of Rwanda, College of Agriculture, Animal Sciences and Veterinary Medicine (CAVM).
Dr. Guillaume NYAGATARE
Ag.Principal, UR - College of Agriculture, Animal Sciences and Veterinary Medicine(CAVM)
The College of Agriculture, Animal Sciences and Veterinary Medicine (CAVM) is one of the 6 Colleges of the University of Rwanda (UR), the only Rwandan Public University created in September 2013 after the merger of former HLIs. The College inherited programs from former :
•Higher Institute of Agriculture and Animal Husbandry (“Institut Superieur d’Agriculture et d’Elevage-ISAE Busogo), created in 1989,
•Faculty of Agriculture of the former National University of Rwanda (NUR) created in 1963,
•Faculties of Agriculture & Veterinary Medicine of the former UP created in 2004 and
•Food Science and Technology Department from former Kigali Institute of Science and Technology (KIST) created in 1997.
UR-CAVM has the following mission :
• To impart education in various branches of agriculture and animal husbandry at “A0” Degree Level to a sufficient number of technicians engineers and provide them with adequate skills to meet the requirements of their duties.
• To contribute to the ongoing poverty reduction, economic development and food security programs in the country through increased agricultural production as a result of agricultural training, research and transfer of technology.
The following are prioritized for this mission to be achieved
• UR-CAVM ensures that its staff is highly qualified and promotes research in the fields of agriculture, animal husbandry, agroforestry, environment, rural economy and animal sciences ;
• UR-CAVM spreads rural technologies throughout Rwanda by providing training and refresher courses to the farming community, and by coordinating and sensitizing them within the framework of enhancing their skills and technical knowhow ;
• UR-CAVM supports activities carried out by farmers throughout the country by disseminating research findings and educating them through seminars, technical support, conferences, publications or any other communication tools available.
• UR-CAVM promotes agriculture and animal husbandry through existing linkages and cooperation between UR-CAVM and other institutions of higher learning, scientific research institutions inside Rwanda and in foreign countries.
Vision By the year 2013, UR-CAVM is committed to becoming a centre of high standards and influence in education, research, technology transfer in agriculture, animal husbandry, veterinary medicine, agricultural products development and processing and to becoming a major player in rural economic transformation. Fundamental values This vision is based on the following values :
– Science and Conscience,
– Patriotism, - Efficiency,
– Integrity, and - Equity.
These moral and professional values insure the institution’s success.
Strategic Plan of UR-CAVM is grounded on the general national policy especially the vision 2020 and sets the basis of the Institutional contribution to the Economic Development and Poverty Reduction Strategy (EDPRS) of the country taking into account specific policies from various line ministries.
UR-CAVM has the following strategies :
• To become an important university exchange platform in the region, this will be achieved through a highly qualified research team, an efficient teaching process, diverse and high quality training programs, a varied level of international cooperation and ;
• To strengthen its own “know how”. This peculiarity of higher learning is mainly focused on lively research. The primary objective being to get well acquainted with training needs of students and to gear training towards satisfying the demand in the labor market.
• Because of the aforesaid, UR-CAVM will be able to maintain and benefit from its geographical location and the stability it enjoys in the region.
• With that vision in perspective, UR-CAVM personnel are inviting each and everyone to join them in steering the Institute towards realization of its goals.
"We want to be a University that allows young people to become the best" - Prof Philip COTTON
Browse our experts per field
For ADMISSION queries ; Please visit www.admissions.ur.ac.rw OR send an Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
23 Jan 2020
Tweets by College of Agriculture, Animal Science
and Veterinary Medicine
College of Agriculture, Animal Science
and Veterinary Medicine Social Media
Subscribe and get our newsletter inbox.